Balloon-fiesta - kicks off Autumn activities in Albuquerque NM, here are several links to safety tips/info you need to be aware of during this event.
· Traffic in & around the Balloon Fiesta Park will be congested and that there will be many out of town/ out of state visitors who are unfamiliar with our traffic, the layout of our streets and the locations of our hotels, restaurants and other businesses.
· Be more vigilant and build extra time in if you commute through the Northern I-25 area and surrounding streets especially with the fairly recent changes in the layout of the new I-25 & Paseo del Norte interchange.
· Traffic flow is going to be unfamiliar to the out of town visitors; so be extremely aware when driving in this area and consider avoiding the area if you're not going to the event.
· Consider using alternate travel routes to avoid the congestion and risks due to the new traffic flows in and around this area.
· Be aware that both visitors and local drivers may be distracted and paying attention to the balloons aloft and not keeping focused on driving as they should be.
So be extra vigilant of other drivers your sharing the road during this massive international event, drive defensively. Additionally the balloon ground crew/chase crews are driving their chase vehicles and trying to use side streets to follow their balloons to their landing sites to assist in safely recovering the balloon however the landing site can be in any parking lot, park or any open area in and around Albuquerque.
· The landing sites can be anyplace in the local area that the prevailing winds and the balloon pilots decide the balloons needs to land for both the balloon's crew and the public's safety.
· Again be aware & extra attentive of traffic flow and spectators in and around each balloon landing site.
Some tips to enhance enjoying the event
· Arrive early; if you arrive at the Park & Ride remote lot after 5:30AM you may not see Dawn Patrol which launches at 0600 or the first wave of balloons launch which launches at 0700 if weather / winds permit.
· Dress in layers for the seasonal temperature range which varies widely from the early morning, into the afternoon and finally for the evening's Balloon glows.
· Wear comfortable shoes and clothing
· Bring a hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and water
· Event gear: Limit the extras stuff such as strollers, backpacks, lawn chairs, etc. as a courtesy to ease crowding at the event
· Follow the directions of local law enforcement, the Fiesta staff members and volunteers
· Be a good Albuquerque ambassador and be extra courteous to our out of town guests.
For more detailed safety & traffic congestion avoidance tips check out the web links below.